Senior Research Fellowships support independent researchers who want to tackle the most important questions in science and who are leaders in their field.
Scheme at a glance
- Career stage: Leading a research programme
- Where your host organisation is based: UK, Republic of Ireland, Low- or middle-income countries
- Type of researcher: Basic, Clinical, Public health;
- Level of funding: Salary and research expenses covered;
- Duration of funding: Up to 7 years (after this you can apply for one renewal of up to 5 years with 50% of your salary covered by us);
- The fellowship may be held on a part-time basis.
The award includes:
Prazo de inscrição
quinta-feira, 28 de Fevereiro de 2019 às 13:59 (-18 dias restantes)
Critérios de elegibilidade
- You can apply for a Senior Research Fellowship if you’re already leading your own independent research programme. The programme of work you propose must be innovative and ambitious.
- You should have a higher degree (PhD or equivalent) and significant research experience.
- You should be able to show:
- your work is important, original and has impact;
- you have made important contributions to your area of research, eg publications, patents, software development or an impact on health policy or practice;
- you are developing an international reputation as a research leader in your field;
- you’re committed to developing and mentoring less experienced researchers.
- You must have sponsorship from a head of department or equivalent at an eligible host organisation. Your host organisation must be located in one of the following: UK, Republic of Ireland, a low- or middle-income country(only nationals of low- or middle-income countries have this third option).
- If you hold, or have held, a senior fellowship supported by another funding body, you can apply for a Senior Research Fellowship of up to 5 years (not 7 years). You will need a 50% salary contribution from your host organisation. After this, you can’t apply for a renewal. Please contact the relevant Science team to discuss this and to find out how to apply.
- If you’ve been away from research (eg for a career break, maternity leave, shared parental leave or long-term sick leave), we’ll allow for this when we consider your application.
- If you are a national of a low- or middle-income country and you propose to work in a low- or middle- income country, your research proposal must also focus on a health priority in that country.
- If you’re awarded this fellowship and you’re from outside the European Economic Area, and your host organisation is in the UK, you’re guaranteed an endorsement of a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa application.
All research proposals must:
- be within our science remit
- describe an innovative and ambitious programme of work
- explain the approaches that will be used to deliver that programme of work
- be distinct from activities already supported by other awards.
You must submit your application through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT).